Sourdough is one of those things that I’ve had very mixed success with. Occasionally it’s worked brilliantly, but more often than not its produced bread looking more like a frisbee than something you’d want to eat. If I did get it to rise the texture was invariably too dense and chewy for eating it to be an enjoyable experience.
But still I’ve preserved in the hope that eventually I’ll get there. And at last I think I have. This time I painstakingly followed the recipe in Andrew Whitley’s book Bread Matters for Cromarty Cob which uses a rye starter with a 50:50 mix of white and wholemeal flour.
I’d refreshed my starter the day before. When it just started to collapse again I used it to make the production leaven. The eventual dough managed to rise above the level of its proving basket (I clearly need to add to my collection!) and produced a lovely loaf, rich in flavour with a good texture.
Now all I need to do is be able to slash the loaves properly. I think that may take a bit more practice….